The Beautiful Uganda You Have to Visit to Appreciate
Profile of CEO of the Day
Hot Selling Product you can use to raise Cash
Landlocked Uganda has transformed itself from a country with a troubled past to one of relative stability and prosperity.
Since its independence from Britain in 1962, the east African nation has endured a military coup, followed by a brutal military dictatorship which ended in 1979, disputed elections in 1980 and a five-year war that brought current President Yoweri Museveni to power in 1986.
The country has also had to contend with a brutal 20-year insurgency in the north, led by the Lord’s Resistance Army.
While the country has won praise for its vigorous campaign against HIV/AIDS it has also attracted international attention for its hardening stance against the LGBT community.
- Republic of Uganda
- Capital: Kampala
- Population 35.6 million
- Area 241,038 sq km (93,072 sq miles)
- Languages English (official), Swahili (official), Luganda, various Bantu and Nilotic languages
- Major religionsChristianity, Islam
- Life expectancy 54 years (men), 55 years (women)
- Currency Ugandan shilling