The Beautiful Togo You Have to Visit to Appreciate
Profile of CEO of the Day
Hot Selling Product you can use to raise Cash
Togo, a narrow strip of land on Africa’s west coast, has for years been the target of criticism over its human rights record and political governance.
Granted independence from France in 1960, Togo has struggled to build a stable country and economy.
The country has gained notoriety as a transit point for ivory poached elsewhere in the region. Poaching has risen in recent years across the continent, where well-armed criminal gangs kill elephants for tusks and rhino for their horns, before shipping them to Asia for use in ornaments and supposed medicine.
Togo is one of the world’s top five producers of phosphates, which are used in fertilisers, but remains poor and dependent on foreign aid.
- Togolese Republic
- Capital: Lome
- Population 6.3 million
- Area 56,785 sq km (21,925 sq miles)
- Languages French (official), local languages
- Major religionsIndigenous beliefs, Christianity, Islam
- Life expectancy 56 years (men), 59 years (women)
- Currency CFA (Communaute Financiere Africaine) franc